Missing Out

“They don’t come to us. I want to be in a sorority, but they assume I don’t want to be in there because they’re all white. I feel like they lose out.”

Transcript for Missing Out

Sometimes I feel that a lot of organizations do not know how to deal with diversity and I feel that they miss an opportunity to get a lot of minority students to be involved with their groups because they don’t talk to us. A lot of times people wanna talk about Greek life and why African Americans and Latinos aren’t in Greek life, but they don’t come to us, they don’t market to us about why we should join their groups even though African Americans and Latinos have their own historic fraternities and sororities that’s due to historical content. I think that they should still market to us. I think they should market to us even more because a lot of African Americans and Latinos don’t even want to be in the historical sororities and fraternities.

Personally, like I don’t, I just want to, you know that’s not my hang up. I mean I want to be in a sorority. I would love for the sorority girls, you know to come talk to me because I want to be in a sorority, but they assume that I don’t want to be in there because they’re all white or you know, they’re not like me or they know that we have our own and I guess they expect that if we want to be in a sorority we want to be in those. I feel that they lose out. There’s so many of us here.

Currently two of my friends, we’re all black, and we’re considering being in a sorority next year, and no one comes up to us, and we sit around campus, we saw the whole bid thing, they don’t try to get at us. We’re not different human beings. We’re all similar human beings; we just have different skin tones.

I feel that a lot of times they should do something special to market the diverse students because we come here and we feel lost, we’re looking for a community, and we don’t know where to go. A lot of us don’t want to be forced to just be in the Black Student Organization, or forced to be in the Latino Group, or the Asian Group. We’d like to be in other organizations like the engineering program, or something like that, we’d loved to be in there, but people don’t come to us, we feel like we aren’t welcome.

I think a lot of times you can’t change people and I don’t think that’s the goal is to just change students. Students come from a lot of places, they’re eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-one, they’re basically set in their ways. I mean, change can come, but that’s not the goal. I think that should be a university thing. I think that the university should develop programs that help minority students get involved on campus. I think that they should help us enjoy Valpo. Give us our experience. If the university gets involved we’ll feel like the school cares. We feel that if the school cares, then that will give us an extra ‘umf’ to stay here because then despite of how people feel, my university cares, they want me to be here. You know, they’re gonna want, you know, find the funds or find the activities that are going to make my experience here. Then there will be a sense of community and then students will stay, they won’t run. A lot of students who leave they don’t feel like they’re anything here for them.

• Victoria B

This is an issue that I as a sorority member have reflected on currently. I believe the first step to encouraging non-white women to join sororities is to befriend them first outside of the context of just getting them to go through recruitment. I would hate to be viewed as someone who is just trying to recruitment certain women so we can boast “we’re diverse” and not because we truly love and appreciate the women in our sorority.

• A.J. Selig

I always saw recruitment as something that interested women just came to, and although the Greek Life community does market these events, I never even thought about marketing specifically to minority students to make sure they feel welcome. I agree that it is important to befriend people outside of the context of Greek Life before trying to get to get them to go through recruitment, because although I think the Greek Life community needs more diversity, I agree that it needs to be because we love and appreciate these women, not just to say that we are diverse.

• Maria

I think the speaker highlights the idea or want of feeling welcome, and that sometimes it is necessary to reach out to people who are different from us to ensure that they feel welcome in what should be a collective community.

• Rachel

I wonder if part of the reason there is a lack of diversity in sororities is because we perpetuate the stereotype of the “typical sorority girl.” White, middle class, Starbucks in hand, and lots of scarves. I think we all know the “type.” But that’s just an image that we superimpose over hundreds of girls on this campus, forcing them fit in a box. I wonder if we redefine/undermine what a “sorority girl” looks like, then this speaker would feel more included in Greek Life.

• Emily Doherty

The typical “type” of sorority girl is very prevalent, and Valpo is no exception. However, when thinking of ways to get more diversity to be in organizations, I do not jump to the conclusion that sororities want only middle class, white girls. That is actually almost offensive to the sorority girls who DO want to make a difference in the diversity of Valpo’s Greek Life. I personally, would love if ANYONE would go through recruitment and feel welcomed in any individual group. I feel that is the responsibility of both sides of the issue to interact and not necessarily one sided or the responsibility of the university.