The Race Card

“Just be human.”

Transcript for The Race Card

Cause it’s an excuse, it’s a great excuse to give. The race card is always a good excuse to give somebody when they think that either they, and it’s very, it’s very harmful because you could, that person, or this student could be very much in the wrong, but they’ll use the race issue to make it look like it was a racial situation, and it don’t have to be a racist situation.

The example I can give is this, when I didn’t make it so well in the nursing program it was, it was told throughout the nursing, the uh, college of nursing that there’s a racial divide of, of the nurses, uh, between white and black and things of that nature, and um, I’ve heard this also with the law school. Uh, and they said, “Well…” I’ll go back to the nursing part of it, and they said to me, “Well you know they got rid of you pretty much because you’re, you’re black.”

I said, “No.” I said, “I got kicked out of the nursing program because I didn’t, my GPA was not at the, at the stature where it’s supposed to be.”

So where is the race, why would I even deal with, uh, the race card when I know that it was you know because I didn’t come up to the standard. Does it stop me from being a, a, nursing assistant for as many years are worth, no. I prayed about it and the response was leave it alone, and I’m so glad I did because it was senseless and why would anybody try to tell me to go ahead and pursue it because of race.

I don’t know and to be very honest I’m, I’m a little offended by it. I’m a lot offended by it because I’m tired of hearing it. That’s why I don’t care, really don’t, don’t care, sick of hearing all this conversation about how can Valparaiso University be more diverse. Just be a human, how’s that? That’s how you end all this craziness. That’s how you end the conversation. Be human. Love one another as you would have people love you, and I think the tradition and values, of, of, just Christianity prevail more than we try to figure out the differences in, in, the, the, the, you know the functionalities of where we came from find that to be more globalizing than you think, and so, uh, I, I just, I’m tired of question. I’m really tired of the question.