Good Foundation

“Well, you started the legacy; we’ll just continue it.”

This story is part of our Flight Paths initiative. Produced by Rebecca Werner with interviews recorded by StoryCorps, a national nonprofit whose mission is to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives. www.storycorps.org

Transcript for Good Foundation

I have to say, the sense of pride for people who were born in Gary, and then, when they’ve moved away—Gary is still first and foremost on their mind.  And I feel like, as people have gotten older, they’ve come back to the area to see it.  And they’re surprised at how well at least this area of Gary has maintained itself.  The job you started in, West Side Nursing Home, is still in existence in downtown Gary.  The temple you’ve belonged to for fifty years is still here, so there is stability.  

There is if you work at it, and you work hard.  And that’s what you have to do.  You have to have a good foundation to keep going.

Well, speaking of foundation, it’s what drew myself and my family back here.  Got married, moved away to Illinois for twenty-five years, but was always drawn back to Miller, to Gary, and when the kids were in college, decided that we would move back here permanently.  Not only for Miller, because you and Mom were here, I loved the beach and the lake, the temple, and that drew me back, and when I came, I realized how many of my friends that I knew from elementary, middle school, and even high school, are still in the area, or have come back.  Well, I think it’s a commitment to live in a area that has a lot of depression of jobs, of businesses, of schools, and to try and help turn it around.  A lot of people who live here have established businesses or know that it’s important to go to those businesses on a regular basis and support them.  The new mayor is doing a wonderful job.  She’s really trying to find ways to draw businesses and people back to Gary.  And for those that are here, to try and help them.Living in a small community, everybody supports each other.  We know that for Gary to survive, you have to start small: with the churches, with the temples, with the schools.  Living in Gary has been a wonderful base for all of us.  It was a good choice to stay.  I know you probably had a lot of flak from your friends, and maybe at times you thought of moving, but you’ve lived in the same home for fifty-one years.  People need to stay to keep things going.

Well, first of all, I thank your family.  It’s good to have grandchildren and people around to help you, that’s for sure.

Well, you started the legacy; we’ll just continue it.

Amen.